"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it." Proverbs 22:6

Thursday, December 6, 2012

MFW 2nd Grade Week #8

BIBLE:  This week our studies were about Jesus and how He is our Rock.

"Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock."  Matthew 7:24

SPELLING:   Pretty typical week in spelling.  New list of words, several spelling exercise and a successful test!

ENGLISH:   Caleb completed the memorization of "If I Knew" by Maud Wyman.  He wouldn't let me video him, but he did let me record his voice.  He started a second or two before my phone recorder was ready, but we managed to get most of it.   I am attempting to put the "video" here for you to listen to.  Hang in there as I've not uploaded video before using the updated blogger features.  Okay, well.  I'm having a some troubles with it.  I will try again to get it posted on here.....It's too precious not to share.

After this we moved onto other language lessons in our Primary Language Lessons book.  The lessons included copy work, dictation, and a discussion on capital letters and words that begin a sentence starting with capitals.  He's been told that last item over and over, but he still gets in a rush and forgets to capitalize the first word of a sentence.

Reading:

Morris the Moose, B. Wiseman
Baby Whales Drink Milk, Barbara Juster Esbensen
A Garden of Whales, Maggie Steincrohn Davis
The Wales, Cynthia Rylant
Animal Cose-Ups - The Whale, Valerie Tracqui
The Magic School Bus Inside a Hurricane, Joanna Cole
Don't Call Me Sidney, Jane Sutton
Dragons LoveTacos, Adam Rubin
Nessa's Fish, Nancy Luenn
Baby Rattlesnake, Te Ata
What's the BIg Idea Ben Franklin, Jean Fritz
The Amazing Life of Ben Franklin, James Cross Giblin
Benjamin Franklin, A Man with Many Jobs, Carole Greene
Rocks and Minerals, Illa Podendorf
Quack, Daisy, Quack!, Jane Simmons
Pond Babies, Cathryn Falwell

Read-a-Loud:

Courage of Sara Noble -  I love this book.  Caleb is slow to like it...as I'm writing THIS post, we've already finished it.  But, I will save the cheers for a later post!

HISTORY:   This week our focus was on Benjamin Franklin.  Caleb learned a lot of facts about Ben Franklin and even that he was the writer of Poor Richard's Almanac.  What was very interesting about Ben Franklin was that he was a good man.  A tidbit:  Having spent his last coins on three small loaves of bread, he gives away two of them to a hungry mother and her child, even though he has traveled a long way and is very hungry himself.

Timeline:   Ben Franklin

MATH:   I was able to find a Singapore Math review workbook online and purchased it for Caleb.  This week we began our review of everything we have covered in our math book so far.  It is an awesome book and I know it's going to help Caleb so much.

SCIENCE:   This was a pretty light science week as far as science goes.  Not exactly what Caleb likes to hear, but it is what it is.  We read a bit out of our First Encyclopedia of Science took and discussed the what the earth was made of.  Then he convinced me to pull out some science lessons from another book that really don't go with our curriculum this year.  But, hey, he wanted to do it and learn and I'm all for that.

This particular activity was about ice, how it melts in cold water, hot water, or sitting on a plate.  He also poured salt on ice to see it melted faster, and he put a spoon on some ice to see that it melted shaping the spoon into the ice.  All this is right up his alley.


I used the ice and salt experiment as an opportunity to share with him about my childhood and how the postman couldn't deliver our mail if we didn't keep the ice off of the porch because our mailbox was on our house.  I remember times the postman would leave a note, asking my parents to please try to get rid of the ice and I also remember my dad buying a certain type of bagged salt to pour on the ice causing it to melt away.   

ART:   We did a drawing lesson in art this week.  Caleb isn't always sure whether he likes art or not.  So, we focus on covering at least one lesson a week.

MUSIC:   We listened to the song America again this week.  We're not too focused on singing the words at the time.  Caleb looks at me like I've grown horns if I ask him to try to sing.  So, he listens, I hum or sing a little bit, and then we move on.

That's a wrap for Week #8....if I missed something, I'll have to add it later or this post will never get posted.  We've had illness in our house all week and this post sat open on the computer waiting for me to hit send...for now, it is what it is.

Educating in Christ,

Pam


No comments:

Post a Comment