"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it." Proverbs 22:6

Sunday, January 6, 2013

MFW 2nd Grade - Week #9


BIBLE:  This week we talked about David being a shepherd boy who became king and learned that he loved music and God.  We read the words to Psalm 62.  We were supposed to put our own melody to the verses in 2 Samuel 22:1-4, but because Caleb is not really into singing we just read them.  I wish I had a better voice and could make it good.  But, I don't, and can't.  Ha!   

Memory Verse:  "Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock."  Matthew 7:24  So, the theme for this week is Jesus is our Rock.

Bible Activities:    Well, the activity was to paint on a rock the name Jesus.  This is a visual on the fact that Jesus is OUR ROCK!!   We could not find a flat rock on our property/street anywhere.  We looked at looked.  Caleb tried to paint the letters, but it was very difficult on a bumpy rock.  He gave up and so we turned the rock around and I painted the letters for him.

SPELLING:  Not a whole lot to say about spelling.  It's spelling.  He had another week with a list of 12 words and did great as usual!!

ENGLISH:   This week we studied a painting by Adam called Wide Awake.  It was three kittens hanging out near a fence, probably on a farm.  Caleb had a list of questions to go over and find answers for.   The second lesson we focused on this week was also about cats.  It was an observation lesson and he had to answer in incomplete and complete sentences.  I was surprised at how quickly he understood that concept.  I figured it would be more difficult than it was.  

HISTORY:  Our history topic this week was more on George Washington.  Caleb has really enjoyed learning about this brave, honorable man.

Read-A-Loud:   Sarah Whitcher's Story is our read-a-loud for the next two and a half weeks.  Caleb seems a little bit disinterested because this story is focused on a little girl who gets lost.  I'm hoping he'll get more interested in it as we go.  It's a very good story so far.  I'm definitely interested.

Book Basket Reading:

Buttons for General Washington, Peter and Connie Roop
Oliver, Syd Hoff
The Mud Flat Olympics, James Stevenson

Hands-On Activity:   A Tricorn Hat.   At the time of George Washington, the Tricorn Hat's were very popular.   I was surprised that Caleb put his had on and wore it proudly!


MATH:  Typical math week.  Lots of lessons in our Singapore Math workbook.  

SCIENCE:  We talked about Seasons in science this week.  This is not new to Caleb as we've talked about this before in school.  We used the globe and a flashlight to show how the earth rotates and that this is what changes our seasons throughout the year.  

His science activity was to go outside and choose a tree in the yard.  He is to draw this tree once each season and show the changes that take place.  My son who is on again, off again when it comes to drawing took this assignment very seriously.  I was SO proud of him!!   I took the liberty of darkening the photo in some edit software.  He drew it so lightly that it wasn't showing up well.  Look at the branches and all the individual leaves he drew on the branches.  He drew a dog on the left saying, "woof."  There is a squirrel in the tree, but I know it's really hard to see.  Along the ground he drew grass and rocks.  The bottom says, "Fall Oak Tree."  Maybe if you click on the picture it will open into a larger, easier to see version.



And he did a leaf tracing.  We stuck a few leaves in a book on the shelf and I figure we'll give those some time to dry out before we look in on them again.  Here he is gathering his leaf.



MUSIC:  We listened to some of Tchaikovsky's story.  I have to admit, it's just a tad bit boring, (well, maybe more than a tad,) but we sit there and listen and talk a bit about it when we're done.  

And  I introduced Caleb to Yankee Doodle.  I'd forgotten what a fun song that was to sing as a child. In this case, I have a CD with lots of children's voices singing this song, so I can easily blend in and look silly.  Caleb rolls his eyes, but that's okay.  He will remember the song just because I was acting silly one day at school.  On the serious side, I never realized what the words to the song meant.  The song was written to ridicule the Americans in the early 1750's.   I definitely learned a bit that day.  
ART:   Caleb seemed interested in art this week so we did a couple of lessons instead of just one.  I've learned to go with the flow with him when it comes to art.  And that's okay.  I think I've said it before - we won't all be a Van Gough.

HEALTH/MANNERS:  This weeks lesson was a discussion on "Talebearers."  Or, as Caleb would call it, "tattle-telling."  The lessons come across as really old-fashion sounding, but in all honesty, these are topics that I think have gotten pushed to the side with recent generations.  It's all good stuff!

Week #9 is officially closed now that I've got the blogging part done!  :)  Still a few more weeks behind, but there have been things taking priority over blogging.  It will all get done in good time.  

I'm blessed to be a homeschool mom and wouldn't have it ANY other way!!

Educating in Christ,

Momma/Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment