"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it." Proverbs 22:6

Sunday, August 21, 2011

MFW 1st Grade - Week #3

We had an awesome 3rd week of school.  Caleb was more in tune to our schedule and what needed to happen.

BIBLE:  Scripture memorization is probably easier for Caleb than it is for me!  So, I use our dry erase board faithfully.  I have last weeks scripture and this weeks scripture written small at the top and some reminders of the days of creation written at the bottom.  I can look at the board at a glance and it helps us put some of these things to memory as we can repeat them as needed.

This weeks scripture is, "He who gathers crops in summer is a wise son, but he who sleeps during the harvest is a disgraceful son."  Proverbs 10:5

We continued reciting last weeks scripture as well.   I'm so proud of him.  For some reason this weeks scripture was easier for him to memorize than last weeks.

In our daily devotional we learned a little bit about Adam and Eve and even some about Cain & Abel.



READING: 
We finished our review of letters S-Z and put together our bible scroll from the A-Z bible scroll sheets.  Caleb was never so happy to be done with review!  Our first day of new work was our best school day so far!  And he really enjoyed putting the scroll together.  I was even able to get him to finish coloring the pictures on the scroll.  Coloring has not been his greatest joy.  Most of the time when coloring he says, "I just want to get this done."  ;o)


Some of the new information he learned was that the vowel's did not just come in short vowel sounds, but also had a long vowel sound.  I was pretty tickled with the ease in which he read all the words on his worksheet/workbook pages!  Let's just say I was grinning from ear to ear and maybe even had tiny tear in my eye.  Some of the words he was saying aloud to me before I could even ask him to sound them out.

We read through so many good books this week.  Here are a few that we really enjoyed:
"Measure," and "Patterns" by Peter Patilla
"A Bear for All Seasons," by Diane Marcial Fuchs - a sweet book that has Bear trying to describe to his friend Fox what his favorite season is.  In the end, it's not exactly a season that is his favorite.  For the sake of other home schoolers who might read this - I won't give away the ending.
"How Many Snails?" by Paul Giganti, Jr.  This book wasn't only a story to read, but was an interactive book of counting and sorting all the objects on each page.  Caleb really got into this.
"How Many Feet in the Bed?" by Diane Johnston Hamm that helped us in counting by 2's, going forward to 10 and backwards.  This was a really fun book.
There were many others, but listing them all would probably become redundant.

MATH:  We continued with learning how to sort and classify objects...I have to say he really has a handle on this aspect.  Even when given a grouping of words he can pretty much tell me what category to place them in.  Caleb completes anywhere from 1-3 math worksheets every day, depending on the day.  The problems all revolve around sorting and classifying.

We still have those math things we do daily:  Number identification questions working with our # of the day, our money activity, base ten and place value activities, 100 chart, some oral story problems, a number of the day worksheet.  We also read the today's date, mark off today on the calendar, apply weather stickers, we read through the days of the week (which he has down), and the months of the year, which he nearly has memorized as well.

He enjoys working in the Pattern Animal book and I'm finding it hard to hold him back to only one of those on Wednesday, our light day.  So, I save the worksheet parts for the recommended day and here and there he's had fun filling in the puzzles.  I figure the next time around I can encourage him to use different blocks for a 2nd solution to the puzzle.



SCIENCE:  We studied the equator, northern hemisphere and southern hemisphere (quite complicated for a 6 yr old.  Even our manual said to simplify it as much as possible.)  That led into learning about the seasons and why it's cold sometimes and hot sometimes....We used our flashlight to shine on our globe to see how the sun shines more on some places of the earth than others.  And that defines how hot and cold it is at any given time.

Another activity he did this week, over the course of about three days, was to create his own "Seasons Book."  I'm always searching for great resources on the web and Mama Jenn has some great ideas that we'll be able to use throughout the year.  It's awesome to have mom's out there willing to share with those of us that struggle with being creative.


 The first season represented was Winter.  Caleb insisted on a white page for snow and if you look closely you can see we used a coffee filter and made a snowflake.
 Mini cupcake liners in a variety of colors made some pretty good flowers, I think.  We folded the liners in half and I helped hold it still while Caleb cut chunks out going around the curve.  These were for his Spring page.
 We traced Caleb's hands 4 times, cut them out and made them into the sun for his Summer page.
 What does everyone think of around Autumn, or Fall?  The leaves falling off the trees of course.  Here he did a couple of leaf rubbings for his Fall page.


Worm update:  lazy things, that's what they are....we obviously did not get an active batch.   Not even one tunnel to admire.  They did disappear though, down into the soil.  Maybe our jar was too big...I'm not sure.   On Friday we looked inside and it was evident that some were dead, some were lifeless, and others were just gone...So, outside went the jar because we can read the future and know that this jug is going to start stinking.  Ugh...Not sure what when wrong there, but I guess we can't be successful ALL the time.

ALL ABOUT MY WORLD:  We did a little more work in his "All About My World" book and touched on our "senses" (which was review from Kinder) and practiced different exercises that are good for our bodies.  This material is pretty easy for Caleb, but we're covering it anyway.  We'll get into All About My - Family and Friends as the year progresses.

ART:  I struggled with art and I wondered what we could do that was fun.  Well, all I had to do was hand Caleb some finger paints and construction paper and he made his own fun art projects.  He painted a rainbow and insisted on doing the colors in order!   He even painted a picture of daddy and some other fun things.  These were finger paints he was using, but he's just not one to get gunked up on his hands so, he pulled out his trusty new paint brushes and had a blast!

We also considered our Book of Seasons an art project and I liked the fact that it was something he could work on that took more than one day.

Friday came and it was a pretty long school day.  All-in-all, with all the new material and finishing the seasons book, and reading, we spent 4 hours in school.  The last 20 minutes of that were things I had to find for him to do because he wasn't ready to be done.  I had a workbook on the shelf that we'd never used and low and behold it had SEVERAL pages that matched up with some of our themes from the last two weeks.  Patterns, listening for the first sounds in words.  He really enjoyed jumping into that book.

What a blessing this week has been.  I have to say that as mama to just one homeschooler, I'm finding myself very tired at the end of each day.  I never really expected that to happen, but now that I think about it, why wouldn't I be tired?  A lot goes into trying to make each day a good day and especially a day of learning and fun.  I went and dug out my bottle of mommy vitamins.  I haven't been taking them of late, and I really think I need them.

Until next week, I hope you have enjoyed seeing what week three was like for us!

God's blessing,
Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment