"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it." Proverbs 22:6

Sunday, August 7, 2011

MFW 1st Grade - Week #1

Our first week consisted of only two days, Thursday and Friday, at the recommendation of MFW.  They feel it is best to start off with a two day week using the new schedule and heavier workload, then have a weekend with a fresh start on Monday again.

Caleb worked on his bible scroll worksheet, which is also a refresher of A-B-C.  We also did E-F-G, but I didn't take a picture of that.



 He also listened for the first letter of words I gave to him via dictation.

We talked a bit about bibles and he told me they are the Word of God.  ;o)   Then we discussed scrolls and how they were the bible a very long time ago.  This was a picture of a scroll I pulled off of the internet after searching on google.

When the serious work was done, he was allowed to play with his pattern blocks.

And he really wanted to play with the ABC wooden beads.  He looked through the entire bag and placed the ABC's in order.  He wasn't too excited that some of them only came in pink, but he decided it would have to do.

Our activity this week was to make a pottery jar.  What he'll be learning later is that scrolls were kept in pottery jars.  These were our supplies.

He measured and poured.
 Measured some more.

And tried to stir....

But as you can see it was quite thick!  So mom stirred a little.

And then Caleb kneaded the dough.

And formed his clay jar with a little guidance from mom as to what to do.

He like that he could play with the pieces that were left over.

And here is his clay jar with lid, sitting out to dry.  We tried to use blue food coloring to give it a little bit of color, but it didn't work out like we'd hoped.  But, that's okay.  It's definitely old and earthy looking!

We had a few bumpy spots that I hope to get ironed out once we realize that school is a priority and not optional.  I still feel we can call our first week of school a success! 

I'm excited to see what Week #2 has in store for us!

God bless,
Pam

2 comments:

  1. This is an awesome look into MFW! We too are starting it this year - using Exploring Countries and Cultures. I LOVE your blog and how you have shown what you and your boys have done! We were "supposed" to start two weeks ago - but "life" happened. We didn't "recover" as quickly as I thought from saying goodbye to daddy for another deployment and I was not well for a week. BUT, to God be the glory, as I am on the rise now and we'll be up and at 'em next week :) I am following you from So You Call Yourself A Homeschooler (www.soyoucallyourselfahomeschooler.com). Look forward to following your journey :) Blessings! Carlie K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I've been on your blog! You do such a great job as well!! You sorta inspired me with my own blog!! Sorry to hear about deployment again... :( That has to be so hard. It the dedication of men and women like your hubby that make this world a safer place for the rest of us. God bless you and your family for your sacrifice!! I think maybe I follow you already...I'll double check though. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete