"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it." Proverbs 22:6

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

MFW 1st Grade - Week #27



BIBLE/READING:

Memory verse:   "The wise in heart accept commands, but a chattering fool comes to ruin."  Proverbs 10:8

Bible stories this week:
When Jesus Was a Boy
Jesus is Baptized
Fishermen
Healing the Man on the Mat

Caleb is doing really well.  On the days where I think he'll be acceptable to it, we've read two bible stories a day and he's even written summary sentences for both stories.  I'm really proud of him.  He's doing quite well.  I still wouldn't call him a fluent reader by any means, but I can tell all the rules he's learned this year are sinking in more and more.

He is to read ten minutes a day from his book basket books and we're to continue reading together as we have been.

Timeline additions:   We'll continue adding those as we continue reading the bible stories.  I think at my last check, we only had about 4 more to add.

MATH:  Cruising along in our Singapore Math book.  Today's lesson encouraged us to use flashcards every day so the lower end addition problems can become more concrete in his mind.  I have the giggle math games that we will also be pulling out to "play" a couple of times a week if not every day.  Those will really help those addition facts sink in.

SCIENCE:  I said it before, we're not doing science.  I've actually decided to save up the science activities for the end of the year.  When we complete all our bible stories for the rest of the year, then we'll work on the science projects.  My concern is that Randy will be out of school and here with us for the summer and I really want to have all the meat of our school done before he gets here.  If we just have the fun science activities left, Randy can participate with us and we can have some family time instead of Caleb and I being secluded to the school room for studies.

We're supposed to be in our Science with Plants science book now.  I'm going to look over those lessons and see if there are any that we can check off.  Caleb has been pretty hands on with the family garden that he and daddy have spent so much time working on.  I'm pretty convinced that a lot of those lessons he's already completed with planting and watching plants grow.  We'll see though.  If there's anything different  or really fun looking we'll surely do that also, because my little guy LOVES science.

MISCELLANEOUS:

You can really tell that our year is winding down.  Look at the length of this post and lack of pictures.  Our main focus every day is the bible verse, bible story, and continuing in math.  There isn't a lot of opportunity for picture taking in that process.  In all honesty, if he keeps reading two stories a day we'll be done by May 31st.  A couple of weeks ahead of schedule from when I thought we'd be finishing.  But, if we have to take a little longer, it's really not a big deal.  We're loving this journey...

Educating in Christ,

Pam


No comments:

Post a Comment