"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it." Proverbs 22:6

Saturday, May 5, 2012

MFW 1st Grade - Week #26

BIBLE/READING:    

Bible stories for the week and timeline additions:  the story of Ester and Jewish People Return Home....

Memory verse:  "The man of integrity walks securely but he who takes crooked paths will be found out."  Proverbs 10:9

I like to write the memory verse on our dry erase board for easy reference.  For this week, Caleb asked if he could write it.  I think he did a great job!


Reading Rules:  Ummmm, NONE!  We're done and in addition, Caleb completed the last page in his student workbook (what he called the dreaded Bluebook.)  Here he is celebrating!

I asked him to show me the last page in his workbook....

We've been relying on books at home the last couple of months and have not had any fun trips to the library.  I didn't realize how much we BOTH missed it.   I made time for that a few days prior and found us a HUGE stack of books to go through.    "Silly Goose's BIG Story" was a fun and very cute book.  It had a good moral to the story about friendships and we enjoyed the story SO much. 


I must admit that this book, "Blue Chicken" was a bit silly, but sweet at the same time.  A chicken gets in the way of painting the barn and before she knows it, everything and everyone around her is blue.  Can she fix it?  Well, maybe YOU need to find it at your library and find out for yourself.


MATH:    It was pretty cool when he placed the #9 in the one's spot and our place value chart was on 99.  

This week Caleb did some math worksheets from both the Children's Book of Math and from his new Singapore Math workbook.

ACTIVITY:
Celebrate Purim - we were supposed celebrate Purim by making some special cookies.  But, when I looked at the recipe, I was concerned that I would be the only person in my household that would even eat the cookies.  It seemed like a lot of work to make something that Caleb would turn his nose up at.  I later talked with my fellow MFW momma's and learned all the different ways these cookies could be made.  So, maybe, this summer we'll take some time to make the cookies.    For now, we just googled the information - looked at pictures of the cookies (and yes, Caleb wrinkled his nose right up,) and talked a bit about Purim and what it means.

If you are curious and don't know, Purim is described in the book of Ester as "days of feasting and joy and giving presents of food to one another and gifts to the poor. For Jews today it is celebrated as a fun holiday."  (From my MFW manual.)

100 Day Celebration - we celebrated our 100th day this week.  I made a post all about it so feel free to click here and jump over to check it out if you haven't already.

Our days are definitely lighter and that is such a blessing.  It is also the reason for the not-so-cluttered-post.  Caleb is reading more and more and THAT is a blessing as well.  I love the look on his face and in his eyes as he reads something that he's really enjoying!

Until next time,

Pam





No comments:

Post a Comment