"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it." Proverbs 22:6

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

MFW 2nd Grade - Week #15



BIBLE:  We read a lot of scripture this week.  Verses from Exodus 13:21-22, Exodus 13:17-18, Deuteronomy 1:32-33, Hebrews 9:1-10, Matthew 27:50-51, Hebrews 10:19-22a, Acts 9:1-19a, Acts 24:10-16, and 1 Corinthians 12:31 and all of chapter 13.  

Memory Verse:  We are continuing with our discussion on John 14:6.  

SPELLING:  We wrapped up another week of spelling, lesson #13, and started on lesson #14.

ENGLISH:  A typical week in LA.  In one of the lessons this week we talked about the days of the week.  He had to complete some questions and we talked about how they all start with capital letters.  

HISTORY/STATE STUDY:  During this week we talked about New Hampshire, Virginia, New York, and North Carolina.  Caleb completed all the state sheets for each state.  

New York was special because we went into a bit of discussion about the Statue of Liberty.

Read-A-Loud:  We are continuing with Farmer Boy. We learned how they get ice to fill the ice-house and what takes place on a Saturday night. 

MATH:  Lots of lessons were completed this week in our SM book.

SCIENCE:  This was a light week in science.  We had one day of discussion on birds from our Birds, Nests, and Eggs book and learned a bit about the Northern Cardinal.

With this being a light week, Caleb begged and begged to watch some of his Magic School Bus videos.  I cannot believe how much he likes them.  He would watch them for hours at a time, if I let him!

HEALTH/MANNERS:  This week's lesson was on "Keeping Myself Clean."  Lots of do's and don't's, like brushing your teeth after meals and not running through mud with your shoes on. I have to laugh a little at some of the questions.  This booklets was obviously written a very long time ago.....Two of the good habits listed:  washing my hair every week, and bathing myself once or twice a week.  Obviously, Caleb has to do this more often than that!!

Animal care:  We continue with our daily care of the animals and what used to be a rather easy feeding process for the cows and donkeys has become a bit more complicated.  It takes us 30-45 minutes each day to take care of everyone.  The longer time is when we need to clean out the rabbit cages...

A bit interruption in our school this week was when our heifer decided to have her baby, only he was coming breech.  It was a long, stressful day that ended in a phone call to the vet.  He feared our calf was dead, but God almighty saved him, and he is okay.  He's had some struggles and he's still working through some of his gimpy-ness.  But, he's a fun little guy to watch.  Caleb named him Miracle for obvious reasons.



Volunteer work:  Once a month we try to volunteer at the food pantry.  I'm pretty certain I've mentioned this before.  The only times we miss are when either Caleb or myself are ill.  This week everyone was healthy and we were able to go help out.  It is such a blessing to be there.  

Interruptions:  We've had some intermittent interruptions since the first of the year.  It's been a bit of a struggle getting through our weeks of school on some days.  I wish I could say it's all rosy and peaches and cream, but it's not.  I try hard to focus on just the good stuff in these posts, but today I am deciding to be real.  You might notice the lack of pictures in this post.  Sometimes, there just isn't time, or the activities aren't there to take a picture of.  I could take pictures of some of his assignments, but that brings me back to the time issue.

As I'm sitting here blogging, I'm trying to remember what all the interruptions were.  I've already mentioned our illnesses.  We all had various things - Johnny had an upper respiratory infection, Caleb had a cold, and I had walking pneumonia for two weeks.  All that just gets in the way of school.  We had another one week were daddy was sick for a day or two, this week when Miracle was born...and we can't forget momma's doctor visit to get established at a new doctor.  

I'm grateful for homeschool.  I really am.  We can afford to be flexible.  We're not on a time limit.  If we need to do school in summer, that's okay. It's so hot that time of year anyway. My goal between now and my next post is to analyze where we are.  I'd like to get a "picture" of when we'll be wrapping up this year.  I have our box of 3rd grade material sitting there, calling our names....It will be great fun to start prepping for that.  But, first things, first.

In all this I remind myself - we are where God wants us to be and that is absolutely the only thing that matters.


Educating in Christ,

Momma/Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment