"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it." Proverbs 22:6

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Field Trip - Museum and Planetarium

CORPUS CHRISTI MUSEUM OF SCIENCE AND HISTORY

After  a lot of talk about going to the museum I finally planned a day to get it done.  Caleb wasn't sure he was going to like it, but in his normal fashion he was so excited that he literally ran from one exhibit to the next.  It will definitely take a few trips in order for me to get to read any of the information on the exhibits.  He had so much fun and I'm not sure he really wanted to leave.

Lots and lots of hands-on activities for kids to read, see, and do.  He soaked up every bit of it.
 

One of Caleb's favorite areas was the one with the saddles.  He even convinced Sissy to climb aboard and give one a try.

And it wouldn't be fair if I posted a picture of Sissy and not the one of myself.  I look ridiculous, but that's okay, Caleb has a grin a mile wide and it's worth it!

We've been reading about and studying indians so all the exhibits about the Karankawa Indians fit right in with our studies.  This was a dug out canoe.

We laughed.  Caleb thought this guy was Columbus.  So, I took their picture in front of him. Then, as we walked away I read the small print on the display and laughed.  He was actually some French soldier or something.  Caleb just shrugged and said, 'well, he looks like Columbus.'

The museum had a special exhibit of LARGE insects.  Caleb went running around the corner so excited and then one of the bugs started moving and opening up it's pinchers.  He stopped in his tracks and nearly ran the other way.  They were overwhelmingly big and quite intimidating with the movement and noise.  Very interesting though.

Possibly one of his favorite exhibits of the day.  Who wouldn't want to stick their hand in a gator's mouth?  Well, that would be me (even if it's fake), but Caleb didn't hesitate.

THE COLUMBUS SHIPS

We were allowed on one of the ships only and we couldn't go below deck.  The ships literally looked like they were going to fall apart.  I was shocked to learn that they sailed a very long way to their Corpus Christi destination.  They did not look safe to me.

It's almost hard to believe that Columbus did all that sailing on ships this size!




I took a picture of Caleb........

And he took one of me......he did great.  He didn't chop off my head and actually got all of me in the photo.


This WAS a bust of Columbus.  :)


THE PLANETARIUM

 The telescope used to show us the stars on the huge and amazing dome ceiling.  So much fun!

A sad attempt at a group picture.  But, we did have lots of fun!

Educating in Christ,

Pam



No comments:

Post a Comment