"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it." Proverbs 22:6

Friday, August 10, 2012

All in Review - What's in a Hurricane? Part 1

Knowledge Box Central at www.KnowledgeBoxCentral.com called out to homeschool mom's asking for reviews of products from their website.  The first 25 responders would get to choose their top 3 choices from the website and one of those items would be sent for free, with the stipulation that a review would be forthcoming.

Hey - what can I say?  I like "free."

I can't begin to tell you how many choices there were on this website to choose from.  Science lapbooks, State lapbooks, literally TONS more, and my first choice, the Hurricane Lapbook.  If you don't know what a lapbook is, well, you're missing out.  Anyone with kids who like to be hands on, cutting, pasting, etc, etc, would love a lapbook.

You use file folders and cut out little booklet type things to paste inside it.  The little covers have questions and the insides are full of information.  It's really a neat way to learn while one makes use of their artistic abilities.  Caleb and I have done one on Weather Words:



What I learned with this one was that my son, well, he isn't into that stuff so much, when it involves crafting, but he LOVES science.  So, when given the choice, I chose a lapbook on Hurricanes.  Living where we do in South Texas, we're in the midst of hurricane season right now.  It's on the news every night while the meteorologists are watching tropical depressions, tropicals storms, and yes, sometimes full-blown hurricanes.

As an adult, I know the basics about hurricanes and I know to stock my pantry with non-perishables and lots of water in the event one should head in our direction.  But, more than that, I could stand to learn a bit more about them.

I'll be honest here, I injured my eye over the weekend and truthfully can not take the time to print out the document and read it in it's entirety.  And really, I'm not sure they would want me to do that because the lapbook itself should be done in colorful file folders and all the tidbits of information need to be printed on colored cardstock.  Ooooh, the ink that would be wasted in printing it just to read it.  But, I read (skimmed) through it, reading it on my computer screen so I could make the font bigger and easier for me to get through.  I had a retinal tear and as a result nasty floaters (that should go away) are swimming around in my eye and I'm still fighting the blurry vision.

ALL that aside, this file is STOCKED FULL of information on hurricanes.  There are step-by-step instructions on how to create the lapbook.  All the pertinent information is present and accounted for.  You can develop the lapbook to absolutely any level depending on the age of your child.  Easier for the littles and more in-depth and complicated for the older ones.  It is so creative.

I'm really excited to work through this lapbook!!  The writer has thought about everything.  While not all the topics on their website would be very much fun for my son, just because he's that way, I know he is going to be very interested in this topic.  I expect I'll have to help with the cutting, but only because he's lazy and won't want to do it.  I can't wait as I know we'll have a good time learning all about Hurricane's together!

When the time comes, I'll be going back to get the lapbook on Texas State History....Week #25 of Adventures in MFW has us learning about Texas.  I want to take a bit more time during that week to talk about OUR state.  What better way to learn it than with a Lapbook!!

I encourage you to take a jog on over to Knowledge Box Central....they are sure to have something your own kids will enjoy!!

Educating (and Reviewing) in Christ,

Momma/Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment