"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it." Proverbs 22:6

Monday, April 9, 2012

MFW 1st Grade - Week #22

BIBLE/SCRIPTURE: 

Bible stories for the week included the story of Ruth, Samson, and King Saul.

Weekly memory verse:   "The faithless will be fully repaid for their ways, and the good man rewarded for his."  Proverbs 14:14


Reading Rules for the week  included "j" spelled "dge" and "ch" spelled "tch".   We also talked about words that are singular and those that are plural.

Books of the bible:  We have gone as far as 1 Thessalonians, with Caleb having the books from the old testament memorized, sometimes he needs help through those crazy prophets like Obadiah and Zephaniah, but most of the time he gets them.  He has the first 4 books of the New Testament memorized, but since those that follow are still relatively new they aren't down pat yet.  I have to keep the list handy because Caleb definitely knows them better than I do.

Timeline additions:   We added Ruth, Samson, and King Saul to our timeline this week.

MATH:  We are still in addition / subtraction mode. With our crazy schedule lately, Caleb has been feeling a little down when it comes to school.  We worked on something he hasn't wanted to work on for a while - patterned animals...

I must admit we had a bit of fun with it this time.

Rhonda Rabbit
Kelly Kangaroo

Quincy Quetzal


We didn't just play with patterned blocks today, we followed them with a worksheet from the book.  To keep Caleb's spirits lifted, I did the writing of the answers for today's project.  But he did the counting with minimal help from mom.



I must admit that neither of us knew what a Quetzal was.  On his paper, we were sorta thinking it looked like a lizard or something like that.  So, Caleb asked me to look it up on-line.  We did and this is what we found.  This beautiful bird!!  Such vibrant colors!  Definitely one of the pretties birds I've ever seen.


SCIENCE:  Okay, I know, my blog doesn't reflect it.  But, at the time I am writing this blog post, which is a couple of weeks post Week #22, we have done science and had a great time with it.  I'll be posting about that very soon.

Home schooling is a blessing and a curse.  We definitely go through seasons of good times and bad.  I covet any prayers you can send our way to help us get through the rest of 1st grade.  We have some amazing and fun looking material for 2nd grade and I am really looking forward to it.  In Caleb's heart, I know he is too, even if he can't figure that out for himself right now.  ;o)   I don't want to place any blame, but March was a very busy and stressful month.  This mom/teacher had more on her plate than should have been there.  I can't help but think that has disoriented Caleb a little from the structure that was in place before all the interruptions.  I am convinced we can regain some ground and get back on track with a little consistency.

In His Steps,
Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment