"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it." Proverbs 22:6

Monday, January 2, 2012

MFW 1st Grade - Week #12

BIBLE/READING:   We finished our study of creation with the 6th and 7th days.   As I mentioned previously, the bible portion is getting more weighted with all the we need to do from the memory verse - "He who is kind to the poor lends to the Lord, and he will reward him for what he has done."  Proverbs 19:17,  to  additional sight words, more reading from his bible reader, and the bible notebook which has journaling and illustrations.   On the heavy bible days, we're at it for 45 minutes to and hour.

Sight words were:  animals, we, will, a told, have, take, of, over, I, you, make, man, woman, them, many, rule, give, very, care, children, food, sixth, done, he, working, rested, and seventh.

Caleb learned the /ng/ sound as it sounds in the word "ring" and /e/ spelled /ea/ as in read the book.... and we introduced the word "homophone" as in words that sound the same but are spelled differently - sea and see, for example, and a couple of others you can see in the photo.


Here are our bible notebooks....Caleb's is on the left, and mine is on the right.  I love how he drew craters on his moon!!

Our big bible story for this week was reading about the Garden of Eden.

MATH:  This week we studied "place value" a little more closely.  We actually took numbers, like 54 for example; and broke it down into 5 tens, and 4 ones.  He had several worksheets and flew through those no problem.

SCIENCE: Our science this week was the study of the Volcanoes from our Things Outdoors book.  This was by far one of the coolest studies.....For our hands-on day, we had a guest teacher by the name of Sissy.

They built their volcano using the following supplies:


Caleb thought the clay looked disgusting and didn't want to touch it at first.  Ha!


But, he warmed up to the idea and helped to form the volcano.


They did a great job, didn't they!  


Here Caleb is adding food coloring......


 And baking soda......


He poured the vinegar and food coloring mixture into the volcano causing a huge eruption.


It was so much fun he had to do it MULTIPLE times!!


Thank you, Sissy, for making our volcano project the best ever!

I'm seriously behind in blogging our homeschool lessons...I'm excited that I got this week done though as I can check it off my list!!

I noticed as I look at my folders of lessons I'd prepared back at the beginning of school that we are on week #14 and I have week numbers 15 & 16 prepared, but beyond that I will have to get busy putting together our lessons.  I was so helpful to have had 16 weeks prepared in advance and ready to go.  I hope that I am able to prepare the next 16 as well......

God bless,
Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment