"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it." Proverbs 22:6

Friday, April 27, 2012

MFW 1st Grade - Week #24

BIBLE/READING:

Bible stories & Timeline Additions for the week were Elijah & King Ahad and Elisha Heals Naaman.

Memory verse - There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord.  Proverbs 21:30

Reading Rules studied were words with  "ce, ci, cy"and we touched on the dictionary and putting things in alphabetical order.  This is not a very clear picture, but Caleb had four word lists and had to put the words in alphabetical order.  He really did well with this.   He only wrote one word out of order and that was because he flipped his "b" to a "d", which he still does occasionally.  

I liked this workbook page.  He had to read words with the new rule involving "ce, ci, & cy" and the sentence at the bottom of the page.  Of course, Caleb rarely likes to illustrate anything, but today he asked me to look up a circus tent on the internet.  And he did his very best to draw one.  He's come a long way from the beginning of the year, don't you think?

Of course, I HAD to take a picture of our reading chart all colored in.  How great is that?  We've covered all the rules and for the rest of the year we are going to read, read, read, to reinforce the rules and get lots of practice.

MATH:  We continued with our Singapore Math book for a couple of days this week which involved learning more about number bonds (families).  Then for some reason Caleb started stumbling a little on math problems.  So, I took a step back and gave him some math pages FULL of addition problems.  He knew them.  I guess he was just having a little trouble focusing.  But, I decided to continue with the addition problems to try to reinforce them and help him try to put more to memory.  

SCIENCE:  Our science this week was science with water and was titled Air & Water Tricks.  I've opted to save this one and the last one, Water Power, to do later on.  MFW doesn't emphasize science in 1st grade and stays to more hands-on fun type of learning.  We're going to do these, but right now I felt our motivation needed to be in the lesson that were proving to be more challenging and those that are really required to complete for the year.  It will be great fun to have another science day soon where we' can compile several lessons all together.  Caleb really enjoyed that when we did it last time.  

MUSIC and ART:  I'm discovering that it's really hard to teach these things to a child who really isn't interested in them.  I'll admit it, when I turn on the CD to talk about music Caleb's eyes just glaze over, and I think mine sorta do, too.  So, I've taken the easy way out and we've skipped over these concepts.  I'm going to try again after we've completed the workbook and some of the other activities.   I'm thinking if we have those pressures off of us, I can spend a little more time making those music and art activities a bit more fun.  I'd really like to at least touch on the 1st grade concepts - - even though they have seemed a bit boring to me as well.  Ha ha!   On another note:  the stuff for 2nd grade looks like more fun, so if all else fails we'll dig into it more with 2nd grade.

Well, this covers the highlights of the week.  What a blessed week of school it was!!

In His Name,
Pam




No comments:

Post a Comment